Last season, United got 1,800 tickets at White Hart Lane, all in the lower tier.
United and its fans’ groups had been working with Spurs and Haringey Council – the licensing authority – to improve that.
In June, council bosses said reds’ behaviour was good at the match and they planned to increase the allocation for this season’s game to 2,600.
Of those, 1,800 would be in the lower tier and the other 800 would have been in the upper tier, with the first four rows of the upper tier netted off.
But the increase was on the condition that reds behaved well at away games earlier on this season.
Using the Freedom of Information Act, Reds Away has now obtained documents showing what has gone wrong since June.
Minutes of a meeting of Tottenham’s safety advisory group held at White Hart Lane on October 17 show the council were willing to give United the extra tickets if United “send up to 12 stewards to assist Tottenham stewards, provide a letter to supporters reminding them of their behaviour and provide assistance in how the front rows of the upper tier are sold).”
It is possible the last point refers to selling the lower rows of the upper tier to loyalty pot members.
The council’s building control manager Bob McIver said: “The fans are being monitored on their travels and, from what we can see, behaviour hasn’t really changed.”
Tottenham’s safety manager Sue Tilling said: “The various safety officer reports will be monitored between now and December in order to review the United fans’ behaviour.
“In addition, the police will also be talking to their colleagues around the country.”
The SAG held a special meeting on November 20 to again discuss the issue.
Mr McIver said: “Manchester United fans’ behaviour has not been the best, looking at safety officer reports.
“Tottenham are not looking to increase the allocation as the letter does not offer any suggestions of assistance with their fans’ behaviour.”
Police reports from United’s trips to Chelsea in the league and the cup and against Newcastle in the league were described as “not favourable.”
PC Simon Wilmott of the Met Police said: “Greater Manchester Police have written to the Metropolitan Police informing them that United fans had been causing problems.”
Ms Tilling read an email from the Norwich safety officer “lining out the problems he had with United fans on their recent visit.”
The minutes added: “The group also discussed the issues seen at United’s two recent televised games at Chelsea where there were flares, pitch encroachment, bottles thrown onto the pitch and standing in upper tiers.”
Mr McIver added; “It is unrealistic to increase the allocation given the facts before us.”
PC Wilmott suggested the idea that United stewards be used at the match.
Ms Tilling said: “I am happy with this but the stewards who come to assist must be willing to work with us.”
Reds Away editor Dale Haslam said: “I would like to thank Haringey Council for releasing this information. Perhaps their counterparts at Newham Council should take note.
“By releasing this information, we can get an understanding of why our allocation has not been increased.
“For the first time, we have learned that safety officials will penalise fans if their behaviour at other grounds is bad, even if it is okay at their ground.
“Knowing this presents our fans with a choice, which links behaviour at one game with the chances of getting a ticket at another.”